Relics of the Past, Shadows of the Future
The Quiet Keep's Secret
- The party spent the evening at the Nenlast inn. They woke to find Veyron missing. They questioned the barman, but didn’t get anything from him. They left a note for him & decided to continue on with their quest for the hand bones. They left town & headed for the Nenlast Portal.
- Tritoma had been away from the group, but had been tracking the party in hopes of continuing with them. She found the “aquaporta” portal entrance, and was surprised to see the party there. They reconnected & continued into the woods.
- The party came upon a small keep on a hill. No one could be seen, but evidence of recent foot traffic was found. The party entered the keep and encountered a group of ragged orcs and their beetle pets. The orcs wielded wicked axes and fell upon our heroes. The beetles breathed thick gouts of flame. Brave Kilgor was hit by the dastardly attack and was severely wounded. Tritoma put two arrows in an orc’s head, killing him; one arrow through each eye.
- Once the party cleared the room they could hear shouting through a nearby door. Ruester kicked through the door and found a large dining room filled with orcs. A long table took up one side of the room and a huge cauldron, bubbling with a vile stew, dominated the hall’s floor. Ruester rushed the cauldron and tipped it toward the orcs, killing one. An orc flipped a switch and dropped the floor directly beneath Ruester. After climbing out of the shallow pit, he helped his companions wipe the floor with the orc’s hides.
- Durg and Ruester hatched a devious plan. They filled the cauldron with the bodies of their slain enemies, set it alight, and burst through the door to an adjoining room sending the cauldron crashing through the beds of a barracks. Several bodies flew out of the cauldron and set small fires.
- An orc chieftain screamed orders at his thanes, who rushed to defend him. A large direwolf stretched sleep from his bones & growled at the spiked dwarf.
- Kilgor sang an arcane lullaby and hushed two of the chieftain’s berserers to sleep.
- Tritoma took aim at the direwolf and utterly destroyed him with two massive attacks from her bow. (One was a big critical hit)
- An orc was ravaged by storm as he moved through Kilgor’s storm pillar, only to be thrown back to his original position by Kilgor’s thunder wave. Ruester again rushed the nearby cauldron and rolled it over the orc, trapping it underneath.
- The party then quickly defeated the remaining forces, including the chieftain, save one orc who yielded. The party found a few of the missing hand bones on the chieftain’s body. They also forced the surviving orc to give them information on the location of the remaining bones. Ruester then promptly killed the informant by burning him alive in the barracks fireplace.